1. Movavi Screen Recorder Studio: Best video capture software overall, 2. Camtasia Studio: Best screen capture for professionals, 3. Snagit: Best for occasional use, 4. Debut Video Capture Pro: Good value screen capture software. The best video capture software makes it super easy to demonstrate what's happening on your laptop or computer. No matter what is happening on your screen it will capture it all for later, ready to share. From a walkthrough guide to a presentation recording, there's lots to be done with the best video capture software. Toplist has complied a rundown of Best Video Capture Software.
- Movavi Screen Recorder Studio: Best video capture software overall
- Camtasia Studio: Best screen capture for professionals
- Snagit: Best for occasional use
- Debut Video Capture Pro: Good value screen capture software
Movavi Screen Recorder Studio: Best video capture software overall
Movavi Screen Capture is ideal for mobile video. It allows you to create, edit, and share polished, professional-looking videos, including recording the entire screen, part of the screen, or just part of a window or application.
Movavi Screen Capture is designed with great built-in editing tools, the best video capture software we’ve tested. Pan and zoom video footage, add titles, titles, and transitions, apply special effects and filters, convert normal motion to slow motion, stabilize video if necessary, adjust colors, and more can be done. Unlike most other video capture apps, it can also enhance the audio. Another benefit is that you can add other elements from your computer to the video, such as inserting external video or audio into the original video and then editing that material until you are satisfied with it.
You can record audio separately or simultaneously, or create audio-only products such as podcasts or audiobooks. You can optimize your video for upload to the web, but you cannot use this program to upload directly to your target site’s upload tool instead. This is a rare mistake in first-class applications. If you have any questions, you can access a great FAQ section, phone support and live chat for faster help.
Reasons to buy
- +optimize video for mobile devices
- +export video to 11 video formats
Reasons to avoid
- -manually upload to social media
- -slow customer support
Camtasia Studio: Best screen capture for professionals
The industry standard for video capture software for over a decade, Camtasia offers a comprehensive set of capture and editing tools presented through a user-friendly interface. It also produces the highest quality video of all the programs we tested.
This program can capture the entire screen, a specific window, or only a selected area. You can also capture faces when recording using your webcam and incorporate them into the final result. This is useful when creating tutorial videos or other presentations.
After recording, you can basic edit and enhance your video, as well as add your own audio and external media, and insert titles, comments, and other text into your project. Everything you really need is there.
- +full array of capturing and editing tools
- +easy enough to use
- -scheduling an automatic recording is tricky
- -it’s very expensive
Snagit: Best for occasional use
Snagit is made by companies like Camtasia: Tech Smith. So it’s no surprise that this is an excellent program and an excellent choice for those who only record their screen occasionally. The program mainly focuses on making and editing non-video screenshots, but the video tools do the little things.
One of the most useful features of this program is the ability to take scrolling screenshots of visited websites. This is great for projects that need to render an entire web page. The
capture and editing tools are basic and can only trim the scenes you don’t want, so if you want a more powerful set of video editing tools, Camtasia should be your choice.
- +excellent screen shot abilities, including taking scrolling screenshots of websites
- -limited video editing abilities
Debut Video Capture Pro: Good value screen capture software
The easy-to-use Debut Video Capture lets you capture video from streaming content, including Hulu and YouTube, or from a webcam or DVD scene. You can record your own voice using the microphone or record audio by capturing what is being broadcast on the screen. One of the interesting features is the scheduled recording option where you choose what to record and the source, audio source, date, and start and end times.
The Debut is surprisingly easy to use. Features are clearly labeled and the toolbar shows what you can work with. Unfortunately, there are no editing options, but you can compensate for this by downloading the free helper program Videopad and using it to edit your videos. The
result is a good video, but the tests showed some glitches in the form of pixelation and slight shakiness in the video. So the end result is pretty visible, acceptable, but not perfect.
- +very easy to use
- +it is inexpensive
- +the software lets you schedule recordings
- -no editing functions