1. Vegetable Quiche, 2. Rocket Carrot Salad with Lemon Dressing, 3. Olive Rosemary Bread, 4. Avocado Tomato Spread, 5. Peach Almond Muffins, 6. Mango Lassi, 7. Rainbow Gelatin Cubes. Is there a more peaceful way to enjoy a meal outside than on a picnic with friends or family in the woods? There's no need to worry about table manners with all the delectable foods laid out on a blanket, because there isn't one! There isn't even a dress code! Even if you only meet up for your picnic after work in a park, the pleasure of eating with one's fingers and lying out in the shade of a tree for a post-meal digesting nap while listening to a lullaby from the birds in the branches above has "summer vacation" written all over it. All of our picnic recipes for a delightful summer picnic are either vegan or gluten-free, or include vegan or gluten-free alternatives. Let’s see what it is!!
- Vegetable Quiche
- Rocket Carrot Salad with Lemon Dressing
- Olive Rosemary Bread
- Avocado Tomato Spread
- Peach Almond Muffins
- Mango Lassi
- Rainbow Gelatin Cubes
Number 1 in the list of recipes for a delightful summer picnic is vegetable quiche. This Mediterranean-style quiche is packed with vitamins and makes a delicious summer supper, whether eaten hot or cold. To carry it to your picnic, wrap it in cling film and place it in the cake tin.
For the pastry, you’ll need the following ingredients: 200g flour (whole wheat or spelt) (gluten free option: 100g buckwheat flour, 100g rice flour); 100 g of oil (olive or sunflower or rape-seed); 12 teaspoon salt. For the filling, combine: 400g diced fennel bulbs 400g sliced swiss chard; 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil; Ricotta (250g); feta cheese (150g); 100 milliliters milk (or a little more, depending on the texture of the ricotta) (Vegetarians: Instead of Feta, Ricotta, and milk, use 500g silken tofu and 2 tsp salt.; 12 tsp black pepper, ground; 12 tsp nutmeg powder; 2 tbsp fresh sage or rosemary, minced (or a mixture of both); 2 tablespoons lemon juice; 12 bundle basil leaves, fresh.
- To create the pastry, combine the flour, oil, and salt in a small bowl with just enough cold water to make a crumbly crust dough. Pull the dough up on the sides to form a 2cm high rim and press it into a lightly greased pie case or round cake tin. Place it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/fan 180 degrees Celsius/gas 6 and blind bake the pastry for 10 minutes.
- To make the filling, heat the olive oil in a skillet, add the chopped vegetables, pepper, and nutmeg, cover, and cook for 15 minutes on medium heat until the vegetables are soft. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sage or rosemary.
- Whisk the crumbled feta cheese, ricotta and milk into a thick sauce (vegans: whisk the silken tofu with salt until it turns sauce-like). Spread the veggies on the pastry, cover with the sauce and bake the quiche for about 25 minutes until golden brown. (200C/fan 180C/gas 6). Drizzle with lemon juice, garnish with basil leaves and serve.
Rocket Carrot Salad with Lemon Dressing
Second place in the top recipes for a delightful summer picnic is rocket carrot salad with lemon dressing. The sweetness of the carrots is balanced out by the purifying sharpness of the rocket in this salad, which awakens our taste senses. The tanginess comes from the lemon dressing. Keep the salad fresh and crisp by storing the dressing in a small container and pouring it over it only 10 minutes before the meal begins.
Serves: 4. Ingredients:1 bunch rocket 4 carrots; 8 tablespoons olive oil; lemon juice, 4 tbsp; 12 teaspoon salt; 1 tsp black pepper powder
- Peel and grate the carrots coarsely. The rocket should be washed, drained, and chopped before being combined with the carrots.
- To make the dressing, combine the oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl and toss with the salad.
- Remove any rough stems from the rocket, then rinse and drain the leaves. Set aside a mixture of olive oil, salt, and lemon juice.
- In a serving bowl, combine the onion and carrot. Finely chop the rocket and combine it with the lemon dressing in a mixing dish. Toss everything together and serve at room temperature with your favorite fish, beef, or chicken meals. The pepperier the rocket, the better for your liver. And, thanks to the vitamin A in carrots, your eyes will be happy as well!
Olive Rosemary Bread
Standing in the top 3 of recipes for a delightful summer picnic is olive rosemary bread. This bread is bursting with flavor thanks to the fresh herbs and olives, and it’s a fantastic snack on its own. It also pairs beautifully with any salad or savory bread spread, making it an ideal picnic treat. It can be made the night before with a bread machine or simply your hands.
Ingredients for 1 loaf: (gluten-free option: 200g buckwheat flour + 200 g rice flour) 400g wholegrain flour: wheat, spelt, or kamut; 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil; 230 milliliters water; 15 pitted and halved olives (black or green); 4 tbsp fresh rosemary, coarsely minced; 1 teaspoon of salt; 12 teaspoon yeast; a third of a teaspoon of baking powder; 2 tablespoons raw cane sugar (or 2 tablespoons maple, rice, agave, or date syrup); 6 tbsp seeds (any sort, any size)sunflower, linseed, or a combination of seeds).
Method: Using a bread machine: Except for the seeds and olives, put all of the ingredients into the machine. After the first cycle, set the machine to “whole meal” and toss in 4 teaspoons of seeds and the olives. Before the baking cycle begins, sprinkle the remaining seeds on top. If you don’t have a bread maker, you can:
- Knead all of the ingredients into an elastic dough (reserving 2 teaspoons of seeds), finishing with the olives. To allow the flour to rise, cover it with a moist cloth and leave it in a warm place for one hour.
- Knead the dough one more, then place it in a square cake mold to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining seeds and bake at 225°C for about 40 minutes. Let it cool down a little and remove it from the cake tin.
- Let the bread cool down completely, slice it and serve it with the avocado-tomato spread.
Avocado Tomato Spread
Avocado tomato spread is the ideal base for a bread spread because of its creamy, velvety texture. It’s high in vitamins and mono-unsaturated fats, and it’s also good for you. Make sure you’re using ripe avocados that aren’t overripe. The pulp should be pale green in color and easily mashable with a fork.
For 4 people: 1 ripe avocado, 1 avocado, 1 avocado, 1 avocado, 1 avocado, 1 avocado, 1 avocado, 1 avocado, 2 coarsely diced sundried tomatoes in oil (or 1 medium fresh tomato), 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 12 tsp ground black pepper, 4 tbsp basil leaves (torn), lemon juice, 2 tbsp.
- Gently fold in the chopped tomato, oil, salt, pepper, basil, and lemon juice after mashing the avocado pulp with a fork.
- Garnish with a sliver of lemon and a few basil leaves. Notes: Notes: With the avocado, it’s best to still be firm if you’re doing a dip, so it can be in chunks. For a sandwich spread, though, let it soften so it can be mashed and spread more easily.
Peach Almond Muffins
Your picnic will be complete with a small basket of delicious peach almond muffins, full with the scent of summer fruits. Try this recipe with any other delicious summer fruit instead of peaches, such as apricots, nectarines, blueberries, or raspberries.
Makes 12 muffins, Ingredients: 250g whole-wheat or spelt flour (gluten-free option: spelt flour) 125 grams rice flour, 125 grams buckwheat flour ; 200 g agave nectar or rice nectar (or raw cane sugar mixed with a little water); 100g peeled and sliced almonds; 4 skinned and sliced ripe peaches; 100 g sunflower oil or mild vegetable oil of your choice; 2 tbsp chia seeds, soaked in 6 tbsp water (optional) (mix well); 2 teaspoons of baking powder; 14 teaspoon salt; 2 tsp vanilla powder or 4 tsp vanilla extract.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and powdered vanilla in a sifter.
- Combine the oil and the syrup in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the chia seed mixture, followed by the flour mixture.
- Combine the fruits and nuts in a bowl.
- Spoon the batter into muffin tins that have been greased.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 175°C (350°F) in a preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
This all time favorite drink is a great picnic addition with mango lassi. According to ayurvedic principles, mango is the only fresh fruit that goes well with dairy products, so it isn’t recommended to replace it with any other kind of fruit.
Serves: 4. Ingredients: 2 small fresh mangos, soft and ripe, 250g yogurt (soy – or coconut yogurt for vegans), ½ tsp cardamom powder, 4 tsp rose water, 8 saffron threads (optional), soaked in one teaspoon of warm water for, a few minutes, 500ml cold water, 6 tbsp agave syrup, rice syrup or light raw cane sugar.
- Peel and dice the mangos before blending them into cubes.Put the mango, yogurt, milk, honey (or sugar), and cardamom into a blender and blend for 2 minutes. If you want a more milkshake-like consistency and it’s a hot day, either blend in some ice as well or serve over ice cubes.
- Whisk together the yogurt, water, syrup or cane sugar, rose water, cardamom, and saffron threads, as well as the soaking water.
- Blend all of the ingredients into a creamy shake, then pour into a thermos to keep the Lassi chilled for your picnic.
Source: A Spicy Perspective
Rainbow Gelatin Cubes
Rainbow gelatin cubes is a food ingredient that has a chewy, jelly-like feel when prepared. Rainbow gelatin cubes are one of the recipes that may be made with these components. This chewy and delicious menu could be a kid’s favorite snack suggestion. Do you want to learn how to make it? Take a look at the recipe: 6 envelopes unflavored gelatin, split; 4 packages (3 ounces each) assorted flavored gelatin, divided and 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk; 1/4 cup cold water; 5-3/4 cups boiling water, split.
- Combine 1 package flavored gelatin and 1 envelope unflavored gelatin in a small mixing dish. 1 cup hot water, stirred in until dissolved Refrigerate until set but not stiff, approximately 20 minutes, in a 13×9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine the condensed milk and 1 cup boiling water in a small bowl. Sprinkle 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin over cold water in a separate bowl and set aside for 1 minute. 3/4 cup boiling water, stirred in Toss in the milk mixture. 1 cup of the creamy gelatin mixture should be poured over the initial layer of flavored gelatin. Refrigerate for about 25 minutes, or until set but not firm.
- Repeat the process twice more, alternating flavored gelatin layers with creamy gelatin layers. Chill each layer until set but not firm before spooning next layer on top. Make final flavored gelatin layer; spoon over top. Refrigerate at least 1 hour after completing last layer before cutting into 1-in. squares.